Thursday, August 7, 2008

Meet and Greet

Lauren starts school on Monday and today the school held the annual Meet and Greet day.

This event is to allow the parents and students to sign up for different clubs and activities, to set up the lunch account, to buy school shirts and take a tour of the school. But most important, it was a time to meet the teacher and tour the classroom. Lauren was so excited for this day to come. This whole week she was asking me when she gets to go and meet her teacher.

We did the sign up stuff and bought a school shirt and short. We also took a tour of the school, which was really cute. It was lead by the 5th graders (this school goes from K to 5) and they were so funny. What they think is important for us to know is really funny.

It was then time to go to the classroom and Lauren got so shy when her teacher came up to her. She would barely speak. The teacher would ask her questions and she would answer in a whisper. Boy will the teacher be surprised when her true self comes out. The teacher kept saying "oh, she is so cute".

Lauren's teacher is a second year teacher. I go back and forth on this and whether or not I want a more experienced teacher. But I keep reminding myself that I was an inexperienced teacher and I would have hated if a parent didn't give me a chance.

There are currently 18 students in Lauren's class. Wow, my first year teaching I had 30 students, the next year I had 24 students and it was so much easier. I wonder what it would have been like to have only 18 students. There are 5 Kindergarten classes this year. I heard that there was only going to be 4 and then because there were more students then they thought they added a class. I glad about that.


Lauren's teacher seems very nice. It was good to see all her old students coming in the class and wanting to say hi. It was really cute. It also gave me comfort because you could tell that these kids really loved her.

After we left, Lauren was so happy. You could just see it in her face. She told me later "I wish that tomorrow was Monday." It makes me so happy that she is excited to go to school.

She saw a few of her friends from preschool and a few friends from dance and gymnastics. She would just go up to them and say hi. I love that because I was so painfully shy when I was young and I would never had done that. It was a fun day.

I still can't believe that she is going to be kindergartener on Monday!!

No comments: